How to Get Rid of Your Muffin Top: 12 Ab Exercises for a Flat Belly
Muffin top is a slang term for belly fat that hangs over the waistline of clothing. Excess belly fat can be difficult to lose but don’t give up because there are a few ways to get rid of your muffin top. Eating a balanced diet is a good start, wearing the correct size clothing and also doing some exercises.
We all know the importance of healthy eating and if you’re trying to lose belly fat it’s even more important. Cut out junk foods and convenience foods and avoid alcohol. The basic rule is that if you burn more calories than you consume you’ll lose weight.
Buy Clothing That Fits
Buying clothing that fits won’t get rid of your muffin top but it will reduce the appearance of belly fat. A tight-fitting waistline will push up your belly fat which will then hang over your waistline. Wearing loose-fitting tops can also help to hide your muffin top until you’ve worked to get rid of the belly fat.
12 Exercises to Get Rid of Your Muffin Top
There are many exercises that you can do to help to get rid of your muffin top. The great thing about these exercises is that you don’t need any special equipment and you don’t have to pay gym fees. Before you do any of the exercises make sure you warm up so that your muscles are ready.
Dead Bug Exercises
The dead bug is an abdominal exercise that can help you to lose your excess belly fat.
- You’ll need to lie on the floor with your arms at your sides before lifting your legs to the tabletop position.
- With your knees bent and legs parallel to the floor you should then raise your right arm.
- Straighten out your left leg but do not allow it to touch the floor.
- Return to the start position and repeat with the other arm and leg and at all times keep your back to the floor. You should do 10 reps and aim to do 3 sets to get the best results from the exercise.
- Lie on the floor with your arms at your sides and raise both legs a couple of inches off the floor.
- You can then scissor kick your legs, lifting them up alternating left and right, without letting them touch the floor.
- You can do 10 to 15 reps per leg at which point you should feel the burn and you can do a few more reps of you wish.
- Sit ups are a simple exercise that works the abs and helps to get rid of your unwanted belly fat.
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent so that your feet are flat on the floor.
- Place your hands behind your head and lift your head and get it as close to your knees as you can.
- Try 20 to 30 sit ups per session which will give your abs a workout but you can do more if you’re comfortable. If you find it hard to keep your feet flat you can ask someone to hold your feet or hook your feet under a bar.
- Lie flat on your back with your knees bent to keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Lift your butt until your knees and shoulders form a straight line and you should hold the position for 3 to 5 seconds.
- Lower your butt until it touches the floor and repeat the exercise 10 to 20 times before stopping.
Don’t hold positions for too long as you don’t want to put any strain on your muscles, especially your lower back.
- Lie on the floor with a straight back and place your hands behind your head to support your neck.
- You then mimic a bicycle riding motion with your legs at a slow pace for 2 to 3 minutes.
The candlestick dipper targets the oblique muscles which can help to get rid of belly fat.
- Kneel with a straight back, tight abs and straighten your right leg to your side.
- Position your hands over your head with arms extended and lock the fingers.
- Move your body to the left and dip as low as possible before returning to an upright position.
- Repeat until you have completed 15 dips and repeat the exercise on the opposite side.
The plank exercise targets the deep internal abs which helps to slim down your waistline.
- You’ll need to get into a pushup position but rest on your forearms instead of your palms.
- Contract your abdominal muscles and hold for 15 to 30 seconds and aim to do this in intervals for 3 to 4 minutes.
Hip dips are side-on push ups and are great for getting rid of your muffin top.
- Lie on your side with one hand on your waist and lift up your body with the opposite arm.
- Dip your hips as far as possible and do this on both sides 10 to 15 times per session.
- Lie on your back your hands behind your head and lift the right knee towards your chest. At the same time pull your left shoulder towards your knee.
- You should alternate between your left and right sides until you’ve done 3 sets of 20 reps.
When doing this workout make sure your shoulder blades leave the floor and don’t pull on the back of your head.
Hula hooping is a great way to workout and it works on the abs, hips, leg and back muscles. For the best results you should use a weighted hula hoop that’s made for workouts. To keep the hula hoop spinning around your waist will take some practice but it’s very effective.
Aim to do around 10 to 15 minutes of hula hooping per day as part of your regular exercise sessions.
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent and both feet flat on the floor and link your hands.
- Keep your back straight and twist your torso to the left and right and aim for 10 to 15 twists to each side.
- Lie face down on the floor and extend your arms in front of you.
- You should then raise your legs, arms and legs of the floor and contract your glutes.
- Hold the position for a few seconds before returning to the start position and repeat the exercise 10 to 15 times.
If you’re comfortable you can hold the position for a little longer which will work the muscles harder.
Rest and Stay Hydrated
You should be aiming to do these exercises five to six days per week to see your muffin top disappear. Always set aside one day per week to rest and allow your muscles to recover. You also need to stay well hydrated by drinking plenty of fresh water or nutritional juices.
If you do the exercises that we’ve looked at and eat a balanced diet you should get rid of your muffin top. You’re not going to see instant results but over a period of weeks you should lose belly fat. When you’ve achieved your goals you can continue with the exercises, even increase the reps or the number of seconds you hold each position for, to keep your muscles toned.
The post How to Get Rid of Your Muffin Top: 12 Ab Exercises for a Flat Belly appeared first on Health Ambition.